- £34,500 for a leg injury at work Read More
- £130,000 settlement for medical negligence victim rejected by local firm Read More
- £250,000 for a decorator diagnosed with Mesothelioma Read More
- £32,000 for a factory worker following exposure to noise Read More
- £150,000 for the family of a loved one who sadly died following carbon monoxide poisoning Read More
How much compensation can I claim for Dental Negligence?
The short answer:
Settlements can range from around £2,000 for a more minor dental injury, to over £50,000 where there has been significant damage to multiple teeth.
For example, take a look at the recent case where we recovered £45,000 for a client (rejected by two other law firms) who suffered damage to multiple teeth resulting from negligent dentistry.
The detailed answer:
The amount of dental negligence compensation you are able to claim will depend upon the nature, severity and duration of the harm you have suffered. You can claim compensation in respect of:
1. Personal Injury – this includes both physical and psychological injury resulting from your dentist’s negligence and the impact this has upon your daily life.
2. Financial Loss – this includes all financial losses you have incurred as a result of your dentist’s negligence, such as the cost of remedial treatment, loss of earnings, travel expenses and any other reasonably incurred expenses.
It is recognised that dental issues can be exceptionally painful and can have a significant impact upon a person’s ability to function on a day-to-day basis. As well as creating functional issues, failed cosmetic treatment or the loss of one or more teeth can be unsightly and invoke feelings of self consciousness and embarrassment. Furthermore, putting things right can involve prolonged periods of undesired and costly remedial treatment.
There are many scenarios in which you may suffer injury as a result of Dental Negligence (see our blog post, What is Dental Negligence?) and each case will be assessed based upon its own unique set of facts. Personal injury compensation is valued by reference to the Judicial College Guidelines and case reports concerning claimants who have suffered similar injuries. As a general guide, the compensation you can expect to receive for various injuries resulting from Dental Negligence are set out within the table below:
|Dental injury||Compensation Amount|
|Loss of a single front tooth||£2,200 - £3,950|
|Loss of 2 front teeth||£4,350 - £7,630|
|Loss of a single back tooth||£1,090 - £1,710|
|Loss of multiple back teeth||up to £15,000|
|Gum disease leading to chronic tooth pain and loss of multiple teeth||up to £38,130|
|Failed dental implants||£2,000 - £20,000 +|
|Fractured jaw||£6,460 - £45,540|
|Psychological harm||£1,540 - £19,070|
These are broad compensation brackets and the actual amount you may receive will depend upon the nature and severity of your injury.
In addition to personal injury compensation, you can recover any financial losses you have incurred as a result of the negligent dental treatment. This includes both past and future financial losses, such as:
- Remedial dental treatment aimed at restoring your dentition to its original state.
- Medication and prescription expenses.
- Loss of earnings resulting from time off work due to pain and attending unnecessary dental appointments.
- Care and assistance provided by family members and friends relating to daily activities of living.
- Travel expenses associated with attending avoidable medical appointments.
If you have suffered due to negligent dental treatment and you would like a free consultation to discuss your options, please call Aston Knight Solicitors today on 0161 399 1231 or click the ‘Contact’ button above to submit an online enquiry and one of our dedicated Solicitors will contact you to discuss your claim further.